Dear Jimmy,

the problem is that Thermo software is not especially intelligent by
assigning the monoisotopic mass when a complex sample is analyzed. I
actually would like to have the converter not making this decision.
For that we have developed our own software.
Can I somehow switch that option off for the acquisition ?

best Dominik

On 08.09.2009, at 23:18, Jimmy Eng wrote:

> That 742.5391 precursor mass is the monoisotopic m/z mass recorded in
> the scan header of the raw file itself.  readw just grabs this value,
> if present, via the thermo interface.  No way to turn this off in
> readw (besides a relatively simple edit of the code and rebuilding the
> binary).
>
> Without seeing the data, it's impossible to confirm (or not) that the
> 742.5391 is actually wrong, especially compared to the filter line
> mass 743.54.  But in a vast majority of the cases, the monoisotopic
> m/z mass, although not optimal, is much more accurate than the 2
> decimal point filter line mass.
>
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:10 AM, Ronny<herzog.ro...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hallo,
>>
>> I want to add something to the error described above:
>>
>> The correct precursor mass would be 743.54. A look into the MS/MS
>> spectrum of 744.55 reveals also a wrong precursor mass - namely
>> 742.5391. We think it might come from a kind of automatic isotopic
>> clustering. Is this done by readw or by the thermo-libraries? Is it
>> possible to switch this off?
>>
>> We would appriciate very much your help on that, since this incorrect
>> notion of precursor masses in the mzXML leads to wrong results in our
>> software. Writing a workaround on that would be very time consuming.
>>
>> thank you for your help and kind regards,
>> Ronny Herzog
>>
>> On Sep 6, 2:27 pm, Dominik Schwudke <domi...@ncbs.res.in> wrote:
>>> Hallo,
>>>
>>> I have problem in the conversion of .raw files to mzXML with
>>> readw.exe.
>>> I have observed that in my complex samples wrong precusor masses are
>>> assigned.
>>>
>>> Here one example:
>>>
>>> <scan num="17"
>>> msLevel="2"
>>> peaksCount="20"
>>> polarity="-"
>>> scanType="Full"
>>> filterLine="ITMS - c NSI d Full ms2 743...@pqd21.00 [50.00-755.00]"
>>> retentionTime="PT173.537S"
>>> lowMz="140.075"
>>> highMz="744.208"
>>> basePeakMz="743.461"
>>> basePeakIntensity="3062.26"
>>> totIonCurrent="5392.25"
>>> collisionEnergy="21" >
>>> <precursorMz precursorIntensity="518823" precursorCharge="1"
>>> activationMethod="PQD" >742.53875732</precursorMz>
>>> <peaks precision="32"
>>> byteOrder="network"
>>> contentType="m/z-int"
>>> compressionType="none"