Veronica,

The ".new" extension is just the name it gave to the newly created file.
It has no meaning in itself and it is intended that you re-name the newly
created file to whatever you wish.  That being said, most database search
tools don't care what the name of your fasta file is, whether it has a
".new" extension or any other random extension.

- Jimmy