Ok, so let me see if I can sum up the issues that have been brought up on this
thread…

1) Scott asks if anyone has seen this license

2) should we add it to list?

3) possible need for allowing other list maintainers to use a short identifier
that "works" with SPDX and SPDX LIcense List

4) statement on license proliferation needed?

5) freeware licenses suggested added to SPDX License List

Um, where do I begin?

As for the original question – no, Scott, I haven't seen this one, as far as I
can remember; but I have seen many licenses like this;  what I mean by that is
a short, very permissive license text that does not match to any specific
license (such as MIT or BSD).  In terms of whether this one (or this type in
general) should be added to the list, I would defer to the same process and
criteria as any license to be added.

I agree with Tom AND Philippe in regards to how broad the SPDX License LIst
should be.  That is, it should be broad, but with limitation.  The goal is
clearly stated (see first paragraph at top of this page:
http://spdx.org/content/license-list) and the intention is not to endorse any
particular license, but rather the license list should serve a very practical
purpose.  That being said and given the vast number of licenses like this
(short, varied, permissive), a balance must be struck to not bloat the list to
the point of being difficult to use.  One very practical matter with these
kinds of license is how to name them, as they often have no name, thus forcing
us to make one up… problems here, as you can imagine…  considering we are
currently discussing the license list guidelines (for how to decide what to
include or not include), I would recommend all on this thread to check out the
last couple meeting minutes on the topic and weigh in there.

As for Guillaume's idea of having a letter reserved for short identifiers for
other license lists to use (M would not work – MPL!!  We might have to use a
symbol or X? Would have to check current short identifiers for a letter not
being used… :) - this is an interesting idea that seems rather easy to
implement, but could also cause other problems.  I was not aware of the use
case cited and we'll have to check with the tech team on that. ??

As for a statement regarding license proliferation – this might be a good
clarification in our literature, not sure if necessary, but certainly would not
hurt.  If someone wants to take a first stab at drafting a short (no more than
a few sentences) explanation, the legal team can then review.

Finally, in regards to freeware licenses (e.g. Oracle Binary Code License) - we
have discussed this several times and has been part of on-going discussion on
license list guidelines (see comment above), so I'm not going to repeat it
here, but again, please review those notes and join that discussion on the
calls.

So, in sum – we have a bunch of different threads that came out of one curious
license!!  Perhaps we can separate these into a few sub-threads for ease of
following?  We have set out various projects for the legal team to work on
(with project owners) this year, so if there is a new project that we should
try to add, then let's look into doing that so it gets proper attention going
forward.

Thanks for all the interest!!!

- Jilayne