I agree that cryptic is best.

If we all we recognize that using 'SPDX-License-Identifier'  means this is what
the  file is licensed under do we really need to be any more explicit? Do we
really still require a license header?  If we did need to be more explicit I
would think along the lines of  'SPDX-File-LicensedAs'  to try and keep it
simple. The more information link that David suggest sis interesting. Would
that field and the license identifier be equivalent to a license header (since
people seem to be nervous about losing the headers)?

There are some limitations to the current approach.

1. You can only use this for licenses that are on the SPDX license list. It
might be interesting to have further meta tags like BEGIN and END license in
those cases where someone has created their own (or conversely we add
everything to the list.. Jilayne groans :)).

2. We can't capture license exceptions written into the source. Might be nice
to add delimiters for that as well. I know for the well formed stuff like that
from the FSF we are probably okay but here are lots of other examples in the
wild and we still use that software.

3.  Likely lots more we could capture. Windriver did an example markup of
busybox to try and capture license information. Would be good to study that as
well. Lots of things that could be added going forward.

My thinking was to start small with this and then see it grow. We likely can't
call this a standard but we could be thinking of that in the future if it gets
wide adoption.

Jack