Gisi, Mark [mailto:mark.g...@windriver.com]:
> My main concern is: if we don't choose a sufficiently expressive syntax, and
> end up losing information, then we will have done more damage to SPDX than
> good. It needs to represent NOTICES and not just a single license.

Fair enough.

I very much like the idea of permitting a license *expression*, instead of one
license.  Fedora and Debian already do this, so this is a well-understood area.
 But that's not too difficult, just permit expressions with parentheses, "AND",
and "OR".  In many cases this would still be simple; here's an example of what
I have in mind:

SPDX-License-Notice:  This file is licensed under the following terms:
SPDX-License-Identifier:  LGPL-2.1 OR MPL-1.1
SPDX-License-More-Information:  http://wiki.spdx.org/licenselist/spdx-1.1

In general, we all want both simplicity (so people will USE it) and
expressiveness (so it can be USEFUL).  The trick is getting there...

--- David A. Wheeler