> Given there are bodies such as OSI and SPDX present, with presence on the
> GitHub community, would the need for such a tool be mitigated if something
> like the GPL—itself being copy written and arguably difficult to use
> <https://github.com/comfusion/hyperdrive/issues/41>—be mitigated if each
> license were given an address in the Blockchain pointing back to the
> authentic and original license text as to represent the canonical source of a
> license used.

I don’t think this would help as often the issue is reliably finding or
identifying the “canonical” source of the license text.  Take the Fedora “good”
list - the SPDX Legal team did a massive amount of work to add as many licenses
from that list to SPDX (we added ~80 licenses, if memory recalls) to make it
easier to use SPDX for Fedora distros or the like.  Many of those licenses we
could not find any other instance of the license text other than what was
captured on the Fedora site. In general, we do a fair amount of research at the
time the license is added, but links change and there is no feasible way to
keep that kind of information up-to-date. You can only go so far down the
rabbit hole, license “authors” don’t always respond (if you can find them),
etc.

But that’s okay, because that is part of the point of having the SPDX License
List - the license is captured there and that is a reference.

As for the OSI - given the goal of SPDX in terms of identifying licenses in a
reliable way, I can personally tell you it was a huge effort of collaboration
with members of the OSI no longer actively involved in this mailing list to get
things aligned in terms of the actual license text, as we uncovered certain
oddities that no one noticed before and then had to sort out how to handle it.
This was not always easy!  The most obvious example being: Artistic-1.0 has
three variations on SPDX License List - two reflect the inclusion or not of
clause 8, which is also reflected on the OSI site.  The third is the actual
license that Perl uses, which is different yet again.  OSI always had a note
about this license being used with Perl, but it wasn’t actually the same
license.  After much going back and forth about how to solve this (and clarify
if the actual Perl license was OSI approved) we came up with the solution as
you see it.

The point is, these things are not always straight forward, licenses or license
text are not code and haven’t been treated as such in terms of tracking
changes. The SPDX License List serves by having a list of license text
associated with short identifiers that can be used in SPDX documents and
elsewhere. This purpose has been and will continue to increase being very
useful and successful.

Thanks,
Jilayne

SPDX Legal Team co-lead