On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 09:28:02AM +0000, Marc Jones wrote:
> It is not clear to me that it makes sense to say a code base is both
> GPLv2 and verbatim, simply because the text of the license is
> copyrighted and you do not have permission to modify the license
> text.

So let's replace “license” with “documentation”.  You generally get
both alongside the source code in a package tarball.  And many
programs compile to executables or libraries that include neither the
license nor documentation content.  Are you suggesting that the
license of the documentation (which may differ from the source,
e.g. GFDL docs with GPL source) does not impact the concluded package
license?

> I don't actually think it is much different from the 3-Clause BSD
> license regardless of if the 3-clause BSD license is in the public
> domain. It seems to me that even if the 3-Clause license is in the
> public domain, you still do not have permission to modify it in a code
> base licensed under the 3-clause BSD license.

But you *would* have permission to copy/paste just the BSD-3-Clause
wording, make your own edits, and distribute the result.  The SPDX way
of representing a file containing different sections under different
licenses is via snippets [1], although by the time you're marking out
BSD-3-Clause blurbs as Verbatim snippets (or whatever), I think you're
past the point of diminishing returns.  But for licenses that usually
live in a separate file (like the GPL), having a Verbatim license
seems like a useful addition.

> > For license where we do not feel comfortable concluding a license,
> > we probably want to stop distributing local copies until we figure
> > out what license applies to them (or whether we think they are not
> > copyrighted, or if our complete copy of their text falls under
> > fair use, or whatever).
>
> The problem with not including local copies of licenses is that
> including a local copy of licenses is actually a condition of a lot
> of licenses. So essentially one would have to say that unless the
> copyright status of the license text is clear, we can not use SPDX
> with that license.

Right.  But if you're comfortable saying “we're at least allowed to
distribute verbatim copies of these because… estoppel… mumble mumble”,
then you can go ahead distributing them even without an explicit
license.  That's not as nice as having an explicit license, clear
copyright status, etc., but it's probably good enough.

> What value is added if we simply end up tacking onto every SPDX
> license code "+Verbatim."

You get a more accurate view of the licenses covering the included
content.  Maybe the Verbatim part ends up being a part that you care
about, and maybe it doesn't.  Like all composites, it will depend on
which content you're interested in.  If we are sure that nobody will
ever be interested in the license of a license, then we should call
that out in the spec (and there's already an ‘excludes’ bit in the
spec for when you want to do this sort of thing with file
granularity).  But I'm not sure that's the case.  And I'm really not
sure that nobody ever cares about the license that the documentation
comes under.  And sometimes distinguishing between “code” and
“documenation” is tricky (although I expect it's easier to distinguish
“license text” from the other two).

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 03:44:52PM +0000, Wheeler, David A wrote:
> I think the point of SPDX is to enable people to understand the
> licenses of the software being used (or under consideration).

Do you place documentation inside or outside your “software” box?
What about code snippets in that documentation?  What about comments
in code (which are in the source files, but don't end up in the
compiled executable for compiled languages)?  I'd rather dodge all of
that and give users the tools they need to express the license of all
of their content.  Then the individual SPDX authors and tools can
decide how detailed they want to be.

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 11:54:52AM -0400, Brad Edmondson wrote:
> It's my understanding that there are varying opinions on the
> question of the copyrightability of a license text (or any legal
> contract). I tend to think no license text is protectable under
> copyright…

I expect the FSF folks disagree with you, or they wouldn't have a
copyright claim and Verbatim license inlined in their licenses.  Is
the official SPDX position going to be that licenses aren't
copyrightable?  Or will we have a Verbatim license so folks who want
can use it, and folks who don't feel like licenses are copyrightable
can conclude ‘NONE’ (or whatever you're supposed to use for “not
copyrightable” for the license file [3] or snippet [4].  I'd rather
punt that call to individual SPDX authors and tools.

> … but even assuming *arguendo* that it is protectable, recall that
> copyright protection is "thin" (as opposed to "thick" protection in
> patent or, less so, trade secret) and doesn't bar *all*
> copying/distributing/etc.

This is melting my brain a bit.  Are you suggesting that, say, the FSF
could have patents that read on the GPL, so despite the fact that
they've explcitly licensed the GPL to us under Verbatim terms, we may
still be vulnerable to their patent claims?  I have difficulty imaging
license-related patents, but I don't see any reason to special-case
licenses.  These sorts of copyright vs. patent, etc. issues exist on
all content that is copyrightable, patentable, etc.  Expressing
licenses using SPDX identifiers is how we deal with those issues for
code and documentation; I don't see why we shouldn't use the same
tools to deal with them for licenses.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://spdx.org/spdx-specification-21-web-version#h.lo3v4sra8jlj