Hi Gary, Manfred,

We discussed this on the legal call today. See responses below:

Also, in regard to this statement in the proposal: "Additional, optional useful
features could include comparing the license text to existing licenses to avoid
duplication, allow demarking optional text and tracking the approval status.” -
can we make this part of the proposal, not simply optional? Checking for
matches is key - perhaps this could tie into building off of / improvements to
the existing Check License tool? http://13.57.134.254/app/check_license/
<http://13.57.134.254/app/check_license/>

thanks,
Jilayne
SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensou...@jilayne.com

> On Mar 13, 2018, at 5:44 PM, <g...@sourceauditor.com>
> <g...@sourceauditor.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Manfred,
>
> Below are my thoughts on your questions.
>
> SPDX Legal Team – feel free to add or disagree with any of my suggestions.
> This may be a good topic for a call since the answers depend on the process
> used by the legal team going forward.
>

> 1. Should the license submitter be allowed to submit a license if he is not
> authenticated to online tools?
>
> [G.O.] No – I don’t think we should require authentication since it would
> require some form of sign-up.  We should require them to fill in a name and
> email address so that we can follow-up and contact, but I would prefer to
> keep the submittal process as simple as possible.  We can always follow-up by
> email if are not sure of a submitter’s authenticity.
agree this is the right approach

> 2. How should the legal team be notified? By email? If yes, can that email be
> "html" ?
> [G.O.] Email to the spdx-legal distribution list would match today’s process.
>  Suggest this be configurable in a configuration file to make it easy to
> change.  I’m thinking text format would be most universal – perhaps we could
> link to an HTML page for a better view of the submittal.
our email list host strips HTML in the archives. Could we have an automated
email go to the legal SPDX mailing list with a link to the pull request that
has been generated by the tool? This should have an obvious subject line. Keep
it simple.

> 3. Shoudl the license submitter be allowed to modify his submission after we
> have checked and seen that there are no duplicate license files in the repo?
> [G.O.] Allowing modifications would be nice to have as a feature.  If the
> modification was made after the initial session where the license request was
> submitted, we would need authentication to prevent other individuals from
> modifying the submittal.
once the tool generates a pull request in Github, we presume that modifications
can be made to the PR as per the usual Github process. That is fine.