Just catching up – quite a thread!

Couple of inputs.

I was in the discussion when we created the declared and concluded license
fields, and the intent was that the declared license was a fact which can be
verified by looking at the source whereas the concluded license was something
where different analysis (or even different opinions) may lead to different
answers.

As Steve mentioned in his analysis, different tools may pick up different
declared licenses, but I consider that similar to different tools may calculate
different checksums for the same file if there is an implementation error – you
can always to back to the source and verify and it should be treated as a
“fact” for the artifact and something that should not change (if you trust the
source of the Element metadata).

There are a large number of scenarios where the concluded license would change
for the exact same artifact:

*       A software provider offers a choice of licenses (e.g. commercial or
GPL-2.0-or-later; GPL-2.0-only or Apache-2.0), someone in the supply chain
makes a decision
*       There is embedded open source that forces a license onto the package
supplier (e.g. copy-left licenses)
*       The supplier information is not correct – something I actually run into
a lot is open source software where all the files have one license and the
package metadata says a completely different license

Best,
Gary