Hi Wolfgang,

The "AND" situation would occur if you have a file which contains code from
two or more different sources using two or more different licenses.  In that
case, I believe you would need to satisfy the obligations of all licenses
(note: I'm not a lawyer so I am not proposing or providing a legal
interpretation).  Hopefully there is no conflict between the license
obligations.

The "OR" would imply a choice as you mentioned below.

When we were working on the 1.0 SPDX specification, we discussed various
licensing situations and came up with a syntax that could capture both
conjunctive license sets (AND's) and disjunctive license sets (OR's) as well
as arbitrarily complex combinations of conjunctive and disjunctive license
sets.  I suggest we leverage the same spec for the license ids tagged in
source fields.

Below is an excerpt from the spec:
---
For a license set, when there is a choice between licenses ("disjunctive
license"), they should be separated with "or" and enclosed in parentheses.
When multiple licenses apply ("conjunctive license"), they should be
separated with an "and" and enclosed in parentheses.  Example: (LGPL-2.1 or
MPL-1.1).
---

We were also concerned about the difficulty in parsing the strings.  We came
up with enclosing them in parenthesis to aid in accurate and unambiguous
parsing.  For example, (LGPL-2.1 and (MPL-1.1 or BSD-3-Clause)) would
describe the licensing for a file which contains code from an LGPL 2.1
package and code from a package licensed under a choice of MPL-1.1 or
BSD-3-Clause.

Gary