Wolfgang Denk [mailto:w...@denx.de]
> But there there is no actual choice.  Yes, you take the parts of the project
> that do not include the GPL code - and you can use this code under the MIT
> license for other purposes.  But as soon as we talk about the thing as a
> whole (say, the linked binary), then you do not have any choice, then it's
> GPL.  GPL without any ORs or ANDs.

Ah, but these are not linked binaries.  These are scripts, and it's trivial to
remove one of the scripts & the rest of the software is straight-up MIT.  Even
for the MIT+GPLv2 script, it's trivial to remove a certain set of lines to make
it MIT-only.

Also: We agree that the effect of "MIT AND GPLv2", legally, is just "GPLv2"...
but some other license combinations do not simplify so easily.

Anyway, I think it's important to be able to express more complex situations
than "this file has license X".  In many cases, a file has multiple licenses,
not one license; being able to express that situation is very helpful.

-- David A. Wheeler