Hello!

This looks interesting, I'll definitely check it out. (Also good to hear about
the tool HERE uses since it includes dependency checking which can get kinda
messy in the Java world.)

The only thing I can comment on at the moment is that the name is a bit
confusing, for two reasons;

1. It doesn't 'check' licenses
2. There is already 'licensecheck' in Debian

The first issue is a little important in the sense that the tool is not
actually analysing a given license like ninka might. That is to say doing some
kind of textual analysis to check which license a given license file is. Rather
the code appears to read files and compare words to a database which helps
*identify* the license a given file is under, but it doesn't do the more
complex work of validating the license text itself. While this is no big deal
(identifying licenses is important work and tools are still needed) it may
cause a tiny bit of confusion to folks out there looking to ensure that the
software they're using is licensed under the license listed and sometimes that
due diligence requires an extra step.

The second issue is likely not a big deal if you're not targeting Debian-based
systems which has licensecheck and has had that tool for about a decade.
Written in perl (as is ninka) because of perl's strong text capabilities, it is
mostly used inside Debian. But Debian and its derivatives are widely used, the
DEP-5 served as the basis for SPDX, and Debian's license compliance process has
been around for a couple decades, so you may run into a namespace clash on
those type of systems.

I don't mean to sound pedantic or discouraging, just thought it might be worth
it to raise these issues now.

Cheers,

Jeremiah