I would postulate that if you want to be able to prove your identity,
you cannot allow your credential to be lost, interpreting
"credential" to be all the information that bears onto establishing
your identity. (saying it this way, it is a tautology.)

This is independent of whether anybody uses public keys, or any other
technology. So I very strongly suspect that while it may be more
apparent to you guys that the issue exists for public key technology,
it also exists for all other approaches, whether we know them at this
time or not!

However, I can readily see that strong voices (that'd be you
guys ;-)) are not ready to adopt any kind of public key technology
into the OpenID family, never mind whether X or Y wins this
particular argument. So we don't need to continue this thread.

I continue to believe, however, as I have said before, that we don't
have enough of an agreement on the solution to be able to standardize
any of them at this time. (Personally, I don't think we have
agreement on the problems to be solved either.) I'd much rather see
our creative juices flowing on the much larger problem of simplifying
the OpenID Auth draft in a manner that people say "this is much
easier than 1.1" instead of the opposite.