Massimo Merolla said:

> Hi,
>
> Let me start by saying that I am extremely new Linux. I have recently
> installed my alcaltel usb adsl modem on RH7.2 by following the how-to
> and the modem looks like it's up and running. When I execute the
> #ifconfig ppp0 I don't get any
> error messages just the standard interface config.

So I assume from that that ppp0 is up and has an IP address. Assuming
you've set up your options properly look at /etc/ppp/resolve.conf and you
should see the IP addresses of your ISP's DNS servers. They usually make a
good first ping test.

> My problem is that when I launch into Mozilla I cannot seem to resolve
> any URL's.

Probably your DNS settings. The HOWTO/FAQ mention some things on how to set
it up properly.

> I have 3 machines 2 windoze and 1 Linux which I have
> networked on a LAN. I can ping any machine across my LAN. What I would
> like to do is use the Linux machine as a firewall. Can anybody help in
> achieving this or alternately point to some resources that can help set
> up the network and the configuration required.

Once you've got your linux box talking to the internet over the ADSL have a
look at www.linuxdoc.org and follow the links to the HOWTO section. There
is a great selection of "recipie" style documents for any number of tasks.

Alex
www.bennee.com/~alex/

Pour se désinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe