Hi Olivier,

Please excuse the reply in English, but my French is terrible.

I had the same problem and I am also running RedHat 7.2, so hopefully this
will help....
My solution to this was to write a CRON script which pings yahoo.com every
10 minutes.  If the ping fails, then the modem is taken off-line and
restarted.

The log is below.

Some explanations of this.....

I like to have a system log that I can browse and check things have been OK,
so I use the "logger" command a lot.  This is entirely optional.

I have changed the STUSB file to make it work reliably on my machine.  It is
a very old Pentium 133 and it has the "Intel Corporation 430VX - 82437VX TVX
[Triton VX] (rev 2)" chipset, which is well known to have problems.  As a
result, I put in a lot of extra lines to ensure that all the processes are
properly killed  "kill_all xxxxx" then "killall -9 xxxxx".  Sometimes I used
to get processes left, and they caused problems.  This is almost certainly
down to my very odd PC, so I haven't raised all this back to the group.  I
plan to fit a new USB card in it anyway.

Good luck with this.

Best regards,

Roger

-------------------------------------

[root@philip /etc]# ls cron*

crontab

cron.d:
kmod

cron.daily:
0anacron  inn-cron-expire  logrotate  makewhatis.cron  slocate.cron  sysstat
tmpwatch

cron.hourly:
inn-cron-nntpsend  inn-cron-rnews  sysstat

cron.monthly:
0anacron

cron.tenminutes:
check_adsl

cron.weekly:
0anacron  makewhatis.cron

[root@philip /etc]# cat crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
HOME=/

# run-parts
*/10 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.tenminutes
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

[root@philip /etc]# cat cron.tenminutes/check_adsl 
#!/bin/sh
# Check connection to Yahoo
# If it returns zero then we are OK
# If it fails then stop and then restart the modem
if ping -c 1 yahoo.com > /dev/null ; then
    logger -id CRON check of ADSL reports OK
else
    logger -isd CRON check of ADSL link failed - restarting...

    # This is a real hammer to crack a nut, but the modem just doesn't
    # seem to cleanly restart otherwise.....
    # "stusb stop" kills all the pppd and modem_run processes
    # "stusb start" then restarts the modem drivers and logs us back in.

    stusb stop
    stusb start
fi

[root@philip /etc]# which stusb
/usr/sbin/stusb

[root@philip /etc]# cat /usr/sbin/stusb 
#!/bin/bash
#
# stusb
# 
# this will start and stop the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL adapter
# this script is based on the two scripts provided by Johan Dijoux
#
# [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# Mon Sep  3 2001
#
RETVAL=0
prog="stusb"
if [ ! -e /usr/lib/speedtouch/mgmt.o ] 
  then echo 'You need the microcode from the Alcatel driver';
  echo 'RTFM and then';
  echo 'place it under /usr/lib/speedtouch/mgmt.o';
  exit 1;
fi


case "$1" in
        start)
                route del default
                modprobe n_hdlc >& /tmp/pppd.log
                modprobe ppp_synctty &> /tmp/pppd.log
                modem_run -v 2 -f /usr/lib/speedtouch/mgmt.o -m
                pppd call adsl &> /tmp/pppd.log &
                ;;
        stop)
                killall modem_run
                killall pppd
                killall noip
                killall pppoa3
              
                killall -9 modem_run
                killall -9 pppd
                killall -9 noip
                killall -9 pppoa3

                rm -f /var/run/ppp*
                rmmod usb-uhci
                sleep 2
                modprobe usb-uhci
                sleep 2
                ;;
        *)
                echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
                RETVAL=1
esac
exit $RETVAL
[root@philip /etc]# 


-----Original Message-----
From: Olivier Guerreau [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 14 May 2002 09:47
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [speedtouch] Script de reconnexion automatique


Hello,

j'utilise monmodem speedtouch sur ma RH 7.2 sans probleme, maisj'ai une 
deconnection (ou deconnexion je sais pas trop) qui arrive tous les 2/3 
jours. Est-ce qu'il existe un script de reconnection automatique????

Merci et @+
Olivier




Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
Pour se desinscrire :
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe

        


Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
Pour se d�sinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe

        

Reply via email to