Hi Pat,

I am running RedHat 7.2, also from a clean install.  If you want to, you can
mail me directly if you feel that you don't want to fill the mailing list.

Check that you have the lines below in your "/etc/ppp/peers/adsl" file
        debug
        kdebug 1

so that you get useful log into the message log

Key information:
        What is the result of running the "ifconfig" command as root ?
        What information is logged in /var/messages ?

You should see something like


in the output from "ifconfig" and

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
          inet addr:###.###.###.##  P-t-P:###.###.###.###
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:982 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:833 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 

and something similar to the below in your /var/log/messages file

......
May 20 23:50:17 philip modem_run[15906]: modem_run version CVS_03_03_2002
started by root uid 0 
May 20 23:50:17 philip modem_run[15906]: Found ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB modem 
May 20 23:50:18 philip modem_run[15906]: Best offset   6463 with probability
87% 
May 20 23:50:18 philip modem_run[15906]: Best offset 532634 with probability
100% 
May 20 23:50:19 philip kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 20 23:50:19 philip kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 76 ep 0x85
len 512 ret -110
May 20 23:50:19 philip modem_run[15906]: BLOCK1 :    991 bytes   uploaded :
OK 
May 20 23:50:19 philip modem_run[15906]: BLOCK2 :    511 bytes downloaded :
OK 
May 20 23:50:22 philip modem_run[15906]: BLOCK3 : 526187 bytes downloaded :
OK 
May 20 23:50:22 philip modem_run[15906]: Downloaded in 2396.415000 ms 
May 20 23:50:22 philip modem_run[15906]: BLOCK4 :    511 bytes downloaded :
OK
May 20 23:50:23 philip modem_run[15906]: Modem reference : 3EC18607CAAB05 
May 20 23:50:23 philip kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 20 23:50:23 philip modem_run[15906]: Modem State 
May 20 23:50:23 philip modem_run[15906]: ADSL line is blocked? 
May 20 23:50:24 philip modem_run[15906]: Modem State 
May 20 23:50:24 philip modem_run[15906]: ADSL line is synchronising 
May 20 23:50:25 philip modem_run[15906]: Modem State 
May 20 23:50:25 philip modem_run[15906]: ADSL line is synchronising 
May 20 23:50:30 philip kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 20 23:50:31 philip kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 20 23:50:36 philip modem_run[15913]: Received interrupt, len = 6 
May 20 23:50:37 philip modem_run[15906]: Modem State 
May 20 23:50:37 philip modem_run[15906]: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down |
288 kbit/s up) 
May 20 23:50:37 philip modem_run[15906]: ADSL link goes UP 
May 20 23:50:39 philip pppd[15915]: pppd 2.4.0 started by root, uid 0
May 20 23:50:39 philip pppd[15915]: Using interface ppp0
May 20 23:50:39 philip pppd[15915]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
May 20 23:50:39 philip pppoa3[15916]: PPPoA3 version CVS_03_03_2002 started
by root (uid 0) 
May 20 23:50:39 philip pppoa3[15916]: Control thread ready 
May 20 23:50:39 philip pppoa3[15927]: ppp(d) --> pppoa3 --> modem  stream
ready 
May 20 23:50:39 philip pppoa3[15928]: modem  --> pppoa3 --> ppp(d) stream
ready 
May 20 23:50:40 philip pppd[15915]: local  IP address ###.###.###.###
May 20 23:50:40 philip pppd[15915]: remote IP address ###.###.###.###
May 20 23:50:40 philip pppd[15915]: primary   DNS address 213.120.62.101
May 20 23:50:40 philip pppd[15915]: secondary DNS address 213.120.62.102


I am a bit careful posting IP addresses on the WWW, so I have blanked them
out with "###.###.###.###".

You should (obviously) get real numbers there.

Drop me the results of what you have for the above commands, and we'll get
you going !

Regards,

Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat Quick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 21 May 2002 13:55
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [speedtouch] New User: Rh 7.3 and Speedtouch



I guess I am still being processed for this list, so please bear with me if
this message is posted more than once.  Let me preface this: I have not used
Linux in about five years while in college.  I have used Windows since.
Last week Windows bit it for the last time.  I erased both of my drives and
installed RH Linux 7.2 and then 7.3 (clean install).  I have followed the
instructions in the How-To and everything seems to work fine with lights and
rebooting the modem but I cannot get any further.  I have opened the
browser, but says it cannot find any connection.  From the Internet
Connection Wizard, the Alcatel Modem is not seen/listed.  Any suggestions
for the next step?  Remember, I am new to this, so please don't assume
anything  :).

Thanks,
Pat Quick

Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
Pour se d�sinscrire :
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe

        


Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
Pour se d�sinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe

        

Reply via email to