[EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Ok guys you have to do this one for me!!
>
> Looks like they might give the info if we give reasons! This is refering
> to a BSD request on the list earlier. I don't know what to say!

Why we need basic vendor usb commands for the speedtouch usb series:

  - Clear the fuzz around the commands wer are executing on the modem
    We know what to send, but we don't know their meaning. This will
    be a problem if the firmware function change. We would not be able
    to understand where it hangs and probably why it hangs.

    Today, vendor commands are "black voodoo" magic which have been
    reverse engineered.

Why we need a way to reset the modem:

  - We need to know how to reset the modem safely. It seems the reset
    function of the USB 1.1 specs is not well supported. I tested that
    on my linux system, and it appears that the modem disapears randomly
    after a modem reset.

    The reset function is very important if we want to improve the
    modem_run program in a way where it could reset the modem and load
    the firmware again without thee need of hardware unplugging or
    unloding+reloading modules.

The overall  reason is just  that Unix users  should be treated  as real
customers. We don't  want to break their  IP, we want to be  able to use
the hardware we paid for.

--
Edouard Gomez
-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --

Pour se désinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe