On Monday 10 November 2003 10:09, Giacomo Magnini wrote:
> Duncan Sands wrote:
> >Hi Giacomo, I don't know why the latest redhat pppd doesn't support
> >pppoatm - why not let them know?  I know that at least one redhat
> >developper is pushing for redhat to support the speedtouch modems.
>
> Nice. Do you know the name of the guy? I can press him some more... :)

Don't press him, press redhat.

> And I can add it to the bug report for him to know.

He's a busy guy - I don't think there is a real need to bother him.  Just
file a request for pppoatm support with bugzilla.

> >By the way, I don't think there is such a thing as "ppp sources": there
> >doesn't seem to be a definitive ppp source repository - every distribution
> >seems to maintain its own copy.  Yes, it's a mess.
>
> Are you kidding??? Didn't know that, that's a major blow: so different
> people are working on the same problems providing different solutions
> and wasting resources... Ugly at best.

Yes.

> >  Anyway, the user mode
> >driver works well, so you might as well stick to that.
>
> Well, I had the userspace driver working fine on my desktop system for
> the last 2 years or so, and I was curious to try the kernel one on my
> freshly installed FC laptop... Two simple questions: 1) any speed
> difference? 2) does the kernel one work with Internet Configuration
> Wizard for RH distros (the userspace doesn't)?

(1) In theory the kernel mode driver is faster, has lower latency and lower
resource usage.  In practice you probably won't notice any difference,
at least if your computer is less than, say, three years old.  (2) I don't know.

Duncan.


Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
Pour se d�sinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        

Reply via email to