----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard Wilkinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:04 PM
Subject: [speedtouch] Patch to modem_run


>
> I have been getting some problems with my systems during startup if the
> modem cannot synchronize. I have added a timeout to the master side of
> the modem _run code to get round this. The timeout is controllable from
> the command line with a -T flag. Feeding in -T 0 gets the old behaviour
> back (by a side effect on the alarm signal call).
>
> I still need to add some code to reap the child when the timeout happens
> but for now at least the boxen do not hang.
>
thank to you to do a job I was not able to code.
I have reported this problem in April but I was not in capacity to correct
like you and it's look my message is now vanished in a mailing-list crash.


>
> My long term intention is to add a mechanism like daemontools to our
> systems and keep the adsl service restarting when it fails. Using the
> timeout to assure that it does return to the master program.
>
I am not sure sure it's the right idee because :
- modem_run is used by 2 drivers (kernel and user modes) wich may behave
differently.
- if you try to restart modem_run when the firmware is already loaded, you
will fail because you need to reset usb before to reset the modem, which is
very invasive (particulary with computer running with usb keyboard). Maybe
we could consider that if firmware uploading fail, the reason is that the
firmware is already loaded and the only need is to set external interfaces
to use the modem?



Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
Pour se d�sinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        

Reply via email to