On Sunday 06 June 2004 05:37, William M. Quarles wrote:
> Doesn't there need to be a disconnect script in order for pppd to nicely
> shutdown the ADSL connection?  I can tell you that if I unplug the
> modem, the kernel modules remain locked for several (possibly many)
> hours before I can remove them.  If I plug the modem back in, pppd can't
> establish a connection.  Has anybody thought of writing a pppd
> disconnect script?

Hi William, if the modem is disconnected then the kernel module rejects
all packets sent to it for transmission.  You would think that pppd would
understand from this that the connection has gone down!  I could change
the module so that it forcibly closes the connection when the modem is
removed.  I didn't do it originally because it seemed like a hack, but
maybe it is the right thing to do after all.

All the best,

Duncan.

PS: Try using the pppd lcp-echo-failure option.