DVCS is nice - and lightweight on a potential contributor's local machine..

Could we keep it python-ish, so that contributing platforms don't get in the
way?
The nice thing about SVN is is seems to run everywhere....

mercurial too (but you need to compile "C" code if not);
bazaar is all python;

I'd vote for one of the later two (hg or bzr).  In fact, I've found a "most
of what I need" bazaar site (launchpad), but not found a hosting place
similarly configured for hg, so would be curious to hear what other people
are using for hg source hosting, that includes (at least) a wiki and issue
tracker.

Thanks,
Yarko