> 1009 timlinux:~> locate utf8.def
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/utf8.def
> 1010 timlinux:~> rpm -qf /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/utf8.def
> tetex-latex-3.0-33.2.el5_1.2

Thanks Tim, found the problem!

[r...@openqa01 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 7)
[r...@openqa01 ~]# rpm -qa tetex\*
tetex-latex-2.0.2-22.0.1.EL4.10
tetex-fonts-2.0.2-22.0.1.EL4.10
tetex-doc-2.0.2-22.0.1.EL4.10
tetex-afm-2.0.2-22.0.1.EL4.10
tetex-dvips-2.0.2-22.0.1.EL4.10
tetex-xdvi-2.0.2-22.0.1.EL4.10
tetex-2.0.2-22.0.1.EL4.10

Looks like we're not in a Red Hat 5 as I stated, we're working on a
RH4 box, which has an older version of TeTeX in the repo and from what
the support guys say, there's no chance we can get TeTeX v 3 from the
repo on it, the other alternatives I came up whit were:
- Get an RPM, but it looks like there's no official one
- Build from source, not the best for system's stability

Now we're stuck...

Santi