On 06/24/2010 08:45 PM, Evgeny wrote:
Hello, is there a way to reuse hyperlinks in the sphinx system? i.e -
avoid copy-pasting urls from file to file?

for example I would like to have external links entered like so:

`some link text<name_for_url>`_

and in some other file:

.. _name_for_url:  http://example.com/

You can use the rst_epilog setting in your conf.py to specify targets and substitutions across all of your documents. (You wouldn't need substitutions, that looks like a valid target example to me.) The value of that setting is simply appended to all of your reST files.

(You could also create a separate file for it and use something like ``rst_epilog = file('myepilog.rst').read()`` in your conf.py. Also, if have more than one set of includes, instead of rst_epilog you could also manually use reST's .. include:: directive.)

If there are a lot of similar external links you may also want to consider a custom role (such as :rfc:`822` might be used for RFC documents) or even a missing reference fallback. If the external links lead to other Sphinx documentation sites, you should look into the intersphinx extension.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net