There is no good solution for it in 0.x but 1.0 has an extension called
extlinks <http://sphinx.pocoo.org/latest/ext/extlinks.html> which solves
this problem.

Currently 1.0 is still at the beta stage so if you are not comfortable
using 1.0b2 you will have to wait for the final release to use this
extension.

In the meantime I would specify the URLs in the rst_epilog in the
conf.py which gets added to every document at build time, I think that
is easier then the workaround using substitutions.