>> Try with comments between:
>>

>> Consider this digraph:
>>
>> .. write here anything you want
>>
>> .. digraph:: pickle_example
>>
>>    "root"; <snip>
>>
>> .. or use an empty comment
>>
>> The graph includes several cycles, ...
>>

>> (Tested only with Docutils.)
>
> That doesn't seem to have any effect on the output, I'm still not getting
> paragraph separation.

I guess this approach should work, based on the LaTeX output you
showed in the first message.  However, this will place your figure
using LaTeX's  figure placement rules (i.e. which sometimes means the
figures appear where you don't want them).

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Floats,_Figures_and_Captions#Figures

.. raw:: latex

   \begin{figure}[htb]

.. digraph:: pickle_example