On 2012-01-08, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/1/6 Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com>:

>> are the other parts of writing a thesis/book with sphinx working OK
>> for you?  I'm thinking:

>> - labeled references for other elements besides equations, such as saying

>> as we discuss in sec. \ref{integral}, then...

>> in TeX, this will provide proper section number references, and can be
>> used for pages, etc.

This is not currently implemented in Docutils/Sphinx. It would be easy to
achieve for LaTeX output, but in HTML this requires a transform that
extracts the section/table/theroem/... number and uses it as link text.

See the test
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/sandbox/latex-variants/tests/figure-reference.txt
for an example how this works with Docutils. (Not tested with the Sphinx
LaTeX writer.)

See also the Docutils TODO list
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/dev/todo.html#object-numbering-and-object-references

>> - clean use of bibtex, including style file control.

> Not implemented.

This is a long standing TODO list item.
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/dev/todo.html#footnote-citation-gathering
There is some support with the external bibstuff add-on
http://code.google.com/p/bibstuff/
and with `Zotero plain`
http://e6h.org/%7Eegh/hg/zotero-plain/

>> - figure placement hints for floating figures.

> This should hopefully be possible by modifying the Tex code generation.

You can already configure the float placement with the help of the "float"
package - globally with e.g. ::

  \usepackage{float}
  \floatplacement{figure}{tb}

in the LaTeX preamble, locally with raw latex like::

  .. raw:: latex

    \floatplacement{figure}{tb}

See
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/latex.html#figure-placement

> However, it just occured to me, that almost all of the problems could
> be fixed by simply merging all the .rst files into one by my own
> script, and only then giving it to Sphinx.

Instead of merging the .rst files, you can simply ``.. include::`` them
into a "master" document. Then, you might also consider using Docutils
instead of Sphinx for the LaTeX generation.

Günter