Il 13/06/2012 11:06, SFL ha scritto:
I would like to combine documents dynamically, therefore I intend to use
the automatic numbering feature. However,
including figures seems to break the numbering. All topics will start
with "1" instead of continuous counting steps.

Probably in your example any(?) directive in the middle would break the autonumbering?
Try to run `rst2html input.rst output.html` on the following snippet:

#. First item

.. note::
   Will note directive break the autonumbering? Yes, it will.

#. Second item

#. Third item

You'll see that it breaks as well.

I think that docutils doesn't support yet what you are looking for:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.text.docutils.user/1380
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/dev/todo.html#object-numbering-and-object-references