I think my team was able to modify that navigation bar, but we decided not
to include the modification in the final layout so I don't remember what we
did.

Here are some hints that might help, though.

   1. You are looking to override an element called div.related. (You can
   see this by right-clicking on that section of the HTML page in Chrome and
   choosing "inspect")

   2. RTD is a very complex theme, and has many customizations that might
   not apply to other themes. I recommend starting from a simpler example
   theme like Basic or Alabaster.

   3. If you don't need the index at all, try turning it off in conf.py -
   the theme should not make a link to an index that doesn't exist, right? I
   think the settings in conf.py are things like html_use_index.