On 2018-01-17 21:22, Komiya Takeshi wrote:
> My large concern is the feature is commonly used or not.
> I doubt non hyperlinked reference is common.
>
> So I'd not like to implement it to sphinx-core even if it is very small code.
> We'd like to keep sphinx-core simple and small.

...then I guess I will have to use a fork indefinitely :'(, because
AFAICT the cost to implement this as an extension is exorbitant.

Alternatively... how would you feel about teaching xref's in general to
omit the link and only do text resolution if the ref starts with '!'?
(It also occurs to me that the solution to
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/4448 might be conducive to
this... You say that "hyperlinked reference is [not] common", but
actually this is exactly what #4448 needs. Though in that case, of
course, this is not under the user's control.)

--
Matthew