On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:24:50PM +0100, Christophe de Dinechin wrote:

> > On 14 Feb 2018, at 14:35, Christophe Fergeau <cferg...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > This one sounds more like an RFC to me
>
> Well, this is really a bug fix in the documentation more than a RFC.
>
> > , as from a quick look in server/,
> > this is not the style currently in use.
>
> As I pointed out in earlier discussions, this section of the style guide, as
> written currently, is mostly backwards compared to industry best practices.
>
> Most projects today put project headers first for a reason: it catches the
> frequent case where a header change makes it not self-contained (therefore
> making it possible to break third-party code using that header).
>
> Examples of explicit recommendations to that effect from various heavyweights:

I haven't said I am against this style.... What I mean is that
spice-server is not following this style, as far as I can tell spice-gtk
is not either, so adding this now to the coding styles is just odd. It
should reflect at least a little bit what is currently being done ;)

If we want to change and decide that's important enough, then I would go
with a separate patch series which would change at least part of the
codebase to follow that style, and then add this to the coding style
doc. Though I don't think it's really useful to spend a lot of time on
it...

Alternatively, this section of the coding style should acknowledge that
this is not followed at all by the current code base, but that new code
should do that, and explain that when making changes to a file, patches
reordering the headers in that file are welcome (if that's how we want
to deal with the change).

Christophe