At 07:21 PM 1/24/2006 -0800, Todd Bermudez wrote:
>Hi,
>
>
>On my test drive I noticed that you had to be careful
>shifting into 2nd.  Grinding.  I've read that the GT6
>gearbox is a major weak link of the car.  This one
>happens to have overdrive and it works.  How hard is
>it to rebuild the gearbox?  Are there any sites out
>there that describe the rebuild?  Is it mostly
>synchros that go bad?  Will the TR6 gearbox fit?


Hello,

Soon after I got my Spitfire, I rebuilt the gearbox using only a Haynes manual
for guidance, and it came out fine.  It's a relatively simple gearbox.
My 1st/2nd gear/sleeve assembly was worn out.

I think the GT6 gearbox may have different gears, etc. inside, but
the basic design is the same as the Spit gearbox.

The trickiest part is removing and installing the special snap ring that
holds everything on the mainshaft.  Never re-use one, and install
it carefully as not to deform it.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit 

Your messages not reaching the list?
Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html

===  This list supported in part by The Vintage Triumph Register
===     http://www.vtr.org

===  Help keep Team.Net on the air
===     http://www.team.net/donate.html

===  unsubscribe/change address requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or try
===  http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool
===  Other lists available at
===      http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo
===  Archives at http://www.team.net/archive
===  http://www.team.net/the-local
===  Edit your replies!

Reply via email to