Hi the list,
 
Following the previous posts from Will and others on a quite similar topic, I 
just wanted to drop of few lines here and get the opinions of colleagues in the 
field of sport science. This does not concern the overall submission/publishing 
process that was thoroughly discussed a few months ago, but just the actual job 
of the 2 to 3 reviewers in charge of the examination of each paper (Will has 
already partly commented this topic as well - so concider this as an 
'extension')

As all of us, in the past years, I have received from different journals both 
excellent and constrictive reviews (that substantially improved my 
manuscripts), and completely inappropriate and biased reviews. 

While the final word is definitely (and always will be, I guess) to the Editors 
in line with each Journal policy, I was wondering if we could adopt/think 
about, more informally, a kind of self-agreement for a "fair and objective 
reviewing process". 

Here are some views, open to all your comments/critics.
 
 
1.       If we consider that the first aim of a review is to examine whether 
the 
manuscript has the potential to be published:
a.       If the paper is not worth publishing, the reviewer does not need to 
provide specific comments. The major comments exemplify why the study is 
flawed, and this is enough. I don't see also why the `tone' of the review 
should be important, i.e., things have to be said how they are – I mean, do the 
Reviewers really need to say "excuse me, please, but I am not completely sure 
that, eventually, your study doesn't make sense"?
b.      If the paper is worth publishing, then the reviewer is expected to do 
his best to help the authors to improve whatever he thinks is worthwhile to 
make a final good paper. Detailed specific comments, etc should be extensively 
given here. The greatest work of a reviewer is here. Not for the case a. above.
 
2.       To ensure that the review is not biased and objective
a.       The AUTHORS' NAMES ARE UNKNOWN BY THE REVIEWERS. Then, the only thing 
that is likely evaluated is the content (I know this point can be discussed, 
and as a reviewer I also like to know who it is, but like this, if the 
reviewers don't know who wrote the paper, it is still harder for them to be 
biased from the start of their work).
b.      Conversely, the reviewers SIGN their review. THE REVIEWERS' NAME IS 
KNOWN BY THE AUTHORS. This is to me the most important point (except a few 
scientists who already do it by themselves sometimes, this is definitively not 
a usual practice today). That would oblige the reviewers to be honest in their 
review, since they would also know that, if not, they will be in trouble 
(people will complain about them directly, etc). That would oblige reviewers to 
provide objective comments (i.e., facts) if they think that a paper should be 
rejected (i.e., strong methodological issues, etc). And, then, based ON FACTS 
AND NOT OPINIONS, the decision on a paper becomes clearer for the editor. It is 
however important in this case to highlight that the decision is still to the 
editors, not to the reviewers of course (to still "protect" in a way the 
reviewers).
 
3.       The fact that the name of the reviewers is known would have additional 
benefits:
a.       Which reviewer would be happy with everyone knowing that he needed 5 
months to review a paper, while he accepted to do it within 3 weeks when he 
clicked on the hyperlink "Yes, I agree to review this manuscript"? I am sure 
that this would accelerate the review process (since all editors generally say 
that it is not their fault = most of the delays are related to the lazy 
reviewers).
b.      On the other side, the reviewer being able to provide an excellent, 
constructive review, which improves the original manuscript will be 
acknowledged by the authors. That will contribute to advertise the reviewer's 
scientific skills and potentially promote himself or open new collaboration 
perspectives for the future. I personally have quite positive experiences with 
paper reviewed by Aaron Coutts and David Poole and others that I couldn't 
identify…. I thank them a lot for their input in my papers – and at this point, 
I would even be happy to put the reviewers' names in the acknowledgement 
section of the manuscript.
 
Thanks for your comments and reactions
Best wishes
 
----------------***---------------------------
Martin Buchheit, PhD
                       ***
Exercise Physiologist
ASPIRE, Academy for Sports Excellence
P.O. Box 22287, Doha,
Qatar
Tel: (+974) 4413 6103
Fax: (+974) 4413 6060
Mobile: (+974) 55232540

                      ***
MCU, Faculté des Sciences du Sport
Laboratoire de recherche 'Adaptation physiologiques à l'exercice et 
réadaptation à l'effort' 

Allée P. GROUSSET, 80025 AMIENS CEDEX 1, France
                       ***
Myorobie
http://www.martin-buchheit.net
-----------------***---------------------------




------------------------------------

Post messages to [email protected].  To (un)subscribe, send any 
message to sportscience-(un)[email protected]. View all messages at 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to