Hi Martin,

I agree that reviewers should sign their reviews. It would make reviewers think 
twice about those caustic comments. It might also force them to provide better 
justifications for the criticisms they make, knowing that those critiques are 
being read by potentially many authors on a paper. I've lost count of the 
number of times a reviewer has criticised a paper I've been on without even 
citing a reference! I have no problem signing my reviews. Actually, some 
journals even publish the reviews themselves in order for the reader to see how 
the author/reviewer exchange developed over time. Knowing that your review was 
going to be published would be a very powerful incentive to do a good job. 

The other aspects that needs addressing are reviewer training and feedback. 
Most reviewers have had zero training in how to review a paper. Maybe this 
should be part of the PhD process? The second issue is reviewer feedback. Who 
tells you if you've done an awful job? Nobody. The authors get feedback but the 
reviewer doesn't. Somewhere in the process journals need to provide some type 
of feedback to reviewers. I'm not quite sure how this would work in practice 
but if a reviewer is not informed of how they can improve then they never will. 

In terms of bias, I think a large potential source is the Section Editor. They 
are the ones at present who know the identity of the authors and the ones who 
make the publish/not publish decision. Let's be honest here, the 'who you know' 
culture is alive and well in academia and the Section Editors have the power to 
disregard or favour the opinions of the reviewers. I would like to see the 
'administrative' part of the process taken out of the hands of the Section 
Editor. Essentially, they would see what the reviewer sees, an author-less 
manuscript.

Cheers,

Grant.

--------------------------
Grant Abt Ph.D.
Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Physiology

Department of Sport, Health and Exercise Science
The University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull HU6 7RX
United Kingdom

Phone - +44 (0)1482 463397
Office - Don Building Room 101
Web - http://www2.hull.ac.uk/science/shes.aspx

Member of the Editorial Advisory Board - Journal of Sports Sciences
Convenor of the BASES Physiology of Intermittent Exercise Interest Group - 
http://www.bases.org.uk/Physiology-of-Intermittent-Exercise-Interest-Group
Latest research paper - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21237707
Apple Distinguished Educator - 
http://www.apple.com/education/apple-distinguished-educator/
TimeMotion for iPhone - 
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/timemotion/id406788440?mt=8
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/grantabt

----------------------------

“Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda

*****************************************************************************************
To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to 
http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html
*****************************************************************************************

Reply via email to