Will asks "why stop at the top 8?" 

My suggestions were only starting points. That's why I wrote that all
three assumptions are arguable and asked for 'comments, criticisms and
suggested improvements'. 
 
Taking the top 8 into account is, I believe, at least a vast improvement
and step in the right direction from the current approach based on 'gold
above all and who cares about anything below bronze'. 
 
I'd be happy to include all participants at the Olympics in determining
national outcomes, although this might become a bit complicated with
many thousands of athletes involved. My suggestion is less
comprehensive, but it has the saving grace of being simpler to put into
effect.
 
Will also asks "what's the basis for assuming a bronze plus a silver
equals a gold?" 
 
There wasn't a quantitative basis for this, and I'm very happy to accept
that other assumptions may be better (e.g. your 1 gold equals 2 silver
equals 3 bronze and so on).
 
I'm happy that my message at least elicited a response, and a good one
at that.
 
Regards,
 
Chris Forbes-Ewan 

Defence Scientist (Nutrition) S&T 5 
Nutrition and Food Group 
Human Protection and Performance Division 
Defence Science and Technology Organisation 
74 George St  
Scottsdale  Tas  7260 

Postal Address: 
DSTO-Scottsdale 
PO Box 147 
Scottsdale  Tas  7260 
Australia 

Phone: + 61 3 6352 6607 
Fax:     + 61 3 6352 3044 
Email: [email protected] 


------------------------------------

Post messages to [email protected].  To (un)subscribe, send any 
message to sportscience-(un)[email protected]. View all messages at 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to