> On May 16, 2016, at 7:10 PM, Tom Herbert <t...@herbertland.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Tal Mizrahi <ta...@marvell.com> wrote:
>>> it’s all about IP, not layer-2.
>>>
>>> s.
>>
>> Right. However, it appears that at least in some cases a VXLAN VTEP will use
>> SR. It certainly may be the case in SFC use cases (see Section 2.3 in
>> draft-ietf-spring-ipv6-use-cases).
>>

> draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header mentions that the packet is
> encapsulated

into an outer ipv6 header which makes it a layer-3 encap.

> , but I don't think it is explicit as to exact
> encapsulation format (I suppose simple ip6ip6 is implied).

see section 2.2

> But, it
> seems like any of several encapsulation techniques could work (VXLAN,

I have some problems to understand where to fit an extension header into a
vxlan encap…

> GRE/IP, ESP/IP, GUE, foo over UDP, etc.) and if a device that wants to
> do SR is already doing tunneling it seems reasonable to me to only
> have one layer of encapsulation. Maybe this should be clarified in the
> draft?

the draft is about IPv6 extension header and more precisely a new type of the
routing extension header defined in rfc2460. That’s the context.

s.