becomes a new DOH. On SRH, the EH does not change I just need to inform the
data plane that when receiving a packet with a specific SID in SRH, do this
internal processing.

On 2019-09-12, 12:34 PM, "Ron Bonica"
<rbon...@juniper.net<mailto:rbon...@juniper.net>> wrote:

Mark,

I think that you may have exposed yet another elephant in the room……

IPv6 defines a robust extensibility architecture, that includes multiple
extension headers. Initially, IPv6 adoption was slow and router vendors were
not highly motivated commit extension headers to ASICs. Also, in those days,
ASICs were not so capable as they are today.

From the above-mentioned data points, we should not infer that it is beyond the
capability of a modern vendor to develop an ASIC that supports a more complete
set of extension headers. Two things have changed. As IPv6 adoption progresses,
vendors are becoming more committed to IPv6. Beyond that, ASICs have become
more capable over the decades.

We shouldn’t abandon the IPv6 extensibility architecture based on a claim that
ASICs cannot and will never be able to  process multiple extension headers.

                  Ron