On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 04:16 Ron Bonica, <rbonica=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org>
wrote:

> Folks,
>

> I am warming to the idea of fix-length,

I think fixed length or single size is always a good thing to aim for.

RFC5505, although about host configuration, sums it up the benefits very
well.

"Anything that can be configured can be misconfigured.  Section 3.8 of
   "Architectural Principles of the Internet" [RFC1958] states: "Avoid
   options and parameters whenever possible.  Any options and parameters
   should be configured or negotiated dynamically rather than manually."

64-bit locators. Benefits follow:

>    - There is no use-case for less specific (e.g., /56) locators
>    - It would make the FUNC part of the address appear in a predictable
>    location. This would facilitate ACLs that match on function.
>

> While you might save a IPv6 address space with more specific locators, the
> savings might not be worth the administrative headache.

Agree.

When people have a choice because they have a lot of address space such as
in an RFC1918 addressed network, they'll commonly choose a single and
simple fixed size e.g.  universal IPv4 /24s for all links IPv4 for that
reason. VLSM is fundamentally hard,

Regards,
Mark.