Interesting....
I used the extended coverage heads of tyco's that cover 18x18 so I could
clear the doors (but not really because they're 12" below the ceiling when
open) but I felt I shouldn't ask unless I couldn't and they'll do just fine
with the doors closed anyway.
I liked that analogy as well.

Tom
FWIW-My living room has a '64 502" stroked 318 (bored 90 over and a 4"
crank) partially disassembled (roller rockers coming) and a '93 Harley but
it's got blazemaster and residential sidewalls!  Wish I had a garage.

Tom:

Our AHJ's allow us to ignore door shadow. If they didn't we'd have to start
installing heads under the doors, like 13. I really like Rolland's, "A
living room with a car in it" It immediately reminded me of all the Choppers
I've seen stripped down in certain living rooms, awaiting parts or ambition.

Thom McMahon
Firetech, Inc.
2560 Copper Ridge Dr
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488-2136
Tel: 970-879-7952
Fax: 970-879-7926
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Duross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: Residential 13D Garage


>I got a comment back from a reviewer wondering why I did a 2 head calc in a
>garage with dry pendents.
> I pointed him to that section and he was satisfied.  The garage had 6
> heads btw, due to the door shadow.
>
> Tom Duross
>
>
>> It's a living room with a car in it.  The Annex saying use the same
>> piping as the dwelling unit and allowing residential sprinklers with  a
>> two sprinkler discharge indicates that but does not state it.  we  do get
>> additional guidance from 13R which allows garages serving a  single
>> dwelling unit states "shall be considered as part of that  dwelling unit
>> and uses residential sprinklers in accordance with  8.6.1 - Design
>> Criteria Inside Dwelling Unit".  SInce 13R is a higher  level of
>> protection, it would be hard to argue that 13D  needs more.
>>
>> Roland
>>
>> On Feb 6, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Cliff Whitfield wrote:
>>
>>> I have a question for the 13D residential gurus out there.  I am
>>> looking
>>> over a drawing that a colleague did for a 13D system.  The garage  area
>>> is
>>> being sprinklered and 8.6.4 of the 2002 edition addresses this to some
>>> degree.  My question is that in the appendix (excuse me, the annex) it
>>> states that a 2 sprinkler design with piping the same sizes as the  rest
>>> of
>>> the dwelling may be used.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> My question is what about the head spacing?  It doesn't  specifically
>>> address
>>> that and I am not sure if that means that I can space the heads out  per
>>> 13D
>>> or if they would need to be limited to 130 sf per ordinary hazard.   The
>>> AHJ
>>> in the area is not as educated as some in larger metropolitan areas  and
>>> he
>>> is okay with the 13D spacing for the garage.  I'm just trying to  make
>>> sure
>>> that it's per code.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Cliff Whitfield
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Fire Design, Inc.
>>>
>>> 3784 Holly Ridge Trail
>>>
>>> Marianna, FL 32448
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Phone:  850-526-1886
>>>
>>> Fax:    850-526-1884
>>>
>>> Cell:    850-819-5861
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> www.fire-design.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
>


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to