Very common dilemma Todd. A good available water test and a careful pump selection should get you to within 5 PSI of your design but if you're too close to call, then you have to design for 175+ PSI. When's the last time you rejected a pump for over pressure at churn? You can do that. Just like not meeting design. If you specify a pump with 110% churn and get a submittal "and" it doesn't make it (either); tell him to take it back or fix it. I have and have seen it before. You're performance compared to design is only as good as your data. A good flow test or 2, maybe a hockey puck ditson reader for a week's sampling, a knowledgeable pump selection and not too many extra elbows to get the system installed and your testing results should reflect your hydraulics very closely.

Tom

I seem to be running into several situations lately where there is a very fine balancing act between meeting the 100 psi at the top outlet of the standpipe and not exceeding 175 psi at the base of the riser. (6 story hotels are a good example) Does anybody have any good ideas they'd care to share on making these work? I'd like to limit the use of extra-heavy pipe and fitting (especially larger sizes) and PRVs. I have several tricks up my sleeve, but I'm running out of sleeves.

Todd



_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to