Greetings again all,

I am in the process of reviewing plans for the secondary water source to a
high-rise residential building where they are taking water from the pool on
the parking garage roof and piping to the grade level fire pump room.  All
indications are that there is enough head pressure to overcome friction and
fitting loss even at the max. 1500 GPM flow to make this a do-able solution.

They have selected to use 8" sch 10 or 40 stainless steel piping for the
approx. 215 foot distance between the pool drain and pump room, which
happens to be exposed overhead - aboveground piping through two levels of an
open parking garage.  They are indicating that this is the best material for
the application since chlorinated pool water will sit in the pipe
indefinately awaiting a seismic event.  Here's my dilemma(s):

a.      I have no previous experience in reviewing or inspection systems with
stainless piping.  I also dont think it is listed as an approved AG material
in NFPA 13 or 24 of any edition. (99,02,07).  Does anyone on the list know
of a type / brand of fire protection listed stainless steel pipe?

b.      Is this really the best material for the application?  I mean sure I
hear
the word on the street is stainless is very resistant to ACQ lumber and for
boat railings .... does that also mean its right for pools supplying
sprinkler systems?  I was also wondering since this is almost a near vacuum
application, versus a pressure application, would stainless be as resilent
and durable with the atmosphere pushing in on it from the outside and large
volume flows and a fire pump pulling in on it from the inside.

c.      I understand from the plumbing consultant who is working on the plans
(YIKES!!) that Victaulic makes a grooved coupling and fittings that are
stainless ... but could not tell me if they are also listed for FP use since
I have seismic design and differential movement requirements in the project
and somewhere along that piping I will need 'flexible' couplings.

Much appreciate the assistance once again.

Dave P.
An AHJ in New Jersey