Thanks for the responses. Neither one of these approaches would be my first choice. I now know where the Architect got the idea that sidewalls at the dome base and sprinklers also above the dome is an "accepted" solution! I can see the deluge as remotely possible, if the detection can work and the system never goes false, except that there is no easy way to get back up to the outside surface of the dome for detector maintenance. Sounds like a job for Protecto-wire maybe? I am in favor of a simple wet system using four flat white Viking Mirages at about 2 o'clock high (2 feet to 3 feet below the dome top). The dome radius is too tight for three ECs to work. This is an existing planetarium, so a fused cover plate (hot coffee works well to release a plate) has been sent with placement instructions for the client to see if it really does anything to their projected image. I hope it will be tolerable.

Thanks again,
Allan Seidel
St. Louis, MO

On Jan 8, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Russell wrote:

Yep, sure was. Can't remember the exact size but something like a 30'
diameter. Being on the deluge system, the sprinklers were open so ceiling was no consideration. The sidewalls were the only sprinklers on the deluge system. The system above the dome was wet. The detectors were above and attached to the dome skin. I don't recall what sort of detector's they were. Just for curiosity, I'll try to run it down, but it's been a long, long time
and the mind is weak.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 10:53 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Planetarium ceilings

Deluge system?  Really?  Was that to protect against those simulated
flaming meteors?

How big was the room to allow sidewalls?  How did they install them in
regards to mfgr and NFPA guidelines requiring max of 4-6 inches below
ceilings?

Was the deluge system above the dome and detectors above the dome?

Craig L. Prahl, CET
Fire Protection Group
Mechanical Department
CH2MHILL