The starting point is the explicit guidance that addresses the last sprinkler or branch line against a wall. You apply the longest dimension from either side for both S and L. This places the sprinkler in the center of the imaginary rectangle. The same philosophy applies to non-symmetrical layouts within the system. Yep there is a lot of overlap but it provides a consistent methodology.

Roland