Being in the center of your rectangle (sounds like new wave psych- babble) does not necessarily mean splitting the difference. It gets more confused with different types of sprinklers especially since it is NOT defined by 13. I too would count the boundary as the 7 ft mark from the EC. The distance on the other side of the standard sprinkler is the driving variable. Is it more than 2-1/2 ft from a wall OR 10 ft to the next standard sprinkler along that line. If it is not, the 5 ft dimension toward the EC is the larger variable, the sprinkler is in the center of its rectangle, and the world is good.

Roland

On May 12, 2008, at 4:37 AM, Dewayne Martinez wrote:

Roland,
So what you are trying to tell me so delicately is that I was wrong and
my sprinkler is over spaced according to rules.  I really appreciate
this forum for all the guidance it provides.
Dewayne

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Roland
Huggins
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 3:25 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: SxL rule

The starting point is the explicit guidance that addresses the last
sprinkler or branch line against a wall.  You apply the longest
dimension from either side for both S and L. This places the sprinkler
in the center of the imaginary rectangle.  The same philosophy applies
to non-symmetrical layouts within the system.  Yep there is a lot of
overlap but it provides a consistent methodology.

Roland