I think it's time that all of us in the sprinkler community shoulder more
responsibility for the conflict as it has transpired over the past 15 years,
and let's try to focus on solutions instead of who's at fault for the problem.
  For YEARS we've been telling anyone who will listen that residential
sprinklers cost $1-$2 per foot.   Recent NFPA Research Foundation findings back
that up, so we can pat ourselves on the back for being half-accurate.   Why
only half?   Here' why.

2,000 SF house with a 500 SF 2-car garage that the AHJ wants sprinklered.
Let's say 22 sprinklers at $125 each/installed will git'r done, so it's a
$2,750 job @ $1.10 per SF.    And we yell up to the heavens, "IT'S A BUCK TEN
PER SQUARE FOOT!" because in our world, we measure things as "sprinklered
square feet", right?

The homebuilder sees a 2000 SF home at $2,750, which is $1.38 per SF, and on
top of that he's got to upgrade his water meter to a 1" for which the s--theads
at the water company are going to charge $6,000.   So add $3/SF plus
incidentals for upsizing the water line, the plumber charging for the
connection point, and the electrician charging to add a circuit and wire the
bell.   Let's say $350 for their trouble.   So the total cost to the builder
for the sprinkler system PACKAGE is $9,100 or $4.55 per SF which is why he's at
those same press conferences and city council meetings yelling to the heavens,
"IT'S FOUR FIDDY FIVE A SQUARE FOOT AND OUR CUSTOMERS DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR
IT!!"

And you know what, they've been RIGHT.   We've been right too, but they haven't
been as wrong as we've tried to paint them because we think in a narrow field
of interest and their approach is more global.  As I said yesterday, I continue
to have the utmost respect for NAHB and their members who oppose residential
sprinklers, but I believe that the cost to our communities in terms of lives
and property lost to fires is a far more compelling and significant criterion,
and which outweighs the direct cost of installing fire sprinklers new
construction.   Forget what has been said by both sides over the past 10 years
and let's get down to the task of convincing water purveyors to sell us the
required water supplies and service connections at FAIR value.

Steve Leyton
Protection Design & Consulting
San Diego, CA