John,

I see your point, but I personally like the Annex and commentary material
contained within the standard.  If a person reads it as it is intended there is
no problem.  As you know, the text of the document is what is required and the
rest is there for guidance, suggestions (opinion of best practice), and maybe
insight into what the intent is/was.  Without the commentary and other
additional "non-required" text we are all left to come up with our own decision
on how to apply.  This is fine for most of those on this forum and similar
folks who care about doing things right and best, but I assume there are many
others that are lone rangers that rely too heavily on their own intelligence
and experience and really need additional guidance and explanation so they
don't end up barking up the wrong tree.  And yes, you are right, they could go
to additional design publications and handbooks outside of the standard but it
does add an additional step that is just not as convenient (and w
 e are all about what is convenient) :).
I think of it in the same way as when I read my study Bible (although without
the same weight).  The large print on top of the page is God's Word and it is
infallible and I am accountable for what it says.  The small print commentary
on the bottom of the page is man's words and although helpful at times, it is
still man's words and I read it in a different way.  The commentary provides
insight and experience that I may have not thought of on my own just reading
the text but I will not be judged according to what man says and I read it
remembering this is coming from an imperfect man.  I could go to my 3 volume
set of commentaries also to help understand what the text is saying, (and I do)
but it is sometimes less confusing and just easier if I can read it right there
on the same page.
To take this analogy too far (if I haven't already) :), the hypothetical AHJ
you mentioned that requires things beyond the code, is akin to the religious
Pharisee-type who uses the man-made stuff beyond what is in the 'standard' to
make his/her own bible and expects the rest of us to follow him.
In my opinion, we shouldn't throw out a good thing (commentary/annex) because
of those that use it incorrectly, but I respect your point of view also.

Reed A. Roisum, CET
Ulteig Engineers, Inc.