ASME A17.12007
2.8.3 Pipes, Ducts, Tanks, and Sprinklers
2.8.3.1 Steam and hot‐water pipes shall be permitted to be installed in
hoistways, machinery spaces, machine rooms,
control spaces, and control rooms for the purpose of heating these areas only,
subject to 2.8.3.1.1 through 2.8.3.1.3.
2.8.3.1.1 Heating pipes shall convey only low‐pressure steam [100 kPa (15 psi)
or less] or hotwater [100°C (212°F) or
less].
2.8.3.1.2 All risers and return pipes shall be located outside the hoistway.
When the machinery space, machine room,
control space, or control room is located above the roof of the building,
heating pipes for the machinery space, machine
room, control space, or control room shall be permitted to be located in the
hoistway between the top floor and the
machinery space, machine room, control space, or control room.
2.8.3.1.3 Traps and shutoff valves shall be provided in accessible locations
outside the hoistway.
2.8.3.2 Ducts shall be permitted to be installed in the hoistway, machinery
space, machine room, control space, or
control room for the purpose of heating, cooling, ventilating, and venting
these areas only and shall not encroach upon
the required clearances.
2.8.3.3 Sprinkler systems conforming to NFPA 13 or the NBCC, whichever is
applicable (see Part 9), shall be permitted to
be installed in the hoistway, machinery space, machine room, control space, or
control room subject to 2.8.3.3.1
through 2.8.3.3.4.
2.8.3.3.1 All risers and returns shall be located outside these spaces. Branch
lines in the hoistway shall supply sprinklers
at not more than one floor level. When the machinery space, machine room,
control space, or control room is located
above the roof of the building, risers, return pipes, and branch lines for
these sprinklers shall be permitted to be located
in the hoistway between the top floor and the machinery space, machine room,
control space, or control room.
2.8.3.3.2 In jurisdictions not enforcing the NBCC, where elevator equipment is
located or its enclosure is configured such
that application of water from sprinklers could cause unsafe elevator
operation, means shall be provided to
automatically disconnect the main line power supply to the affected elevator
and any other power supplies used to
move the elevator upon or prior to the application of water.
(a) This means shall be independent of the elevator control and shall not be
self‐resetting.
(b) Heat detectors and sprinkler flow switches used to initiate main line
elevator power shutdown shall comply with the
requirements of NFPA 72.
(c) The activation of sprinklers outside of such locations shall not disconnect
the main line elevator power supply. See
also 2.27.3.3.6.
2.8.3.3.3 Smoke detectors shall not be used to activate sprinklers in these
spaces or to disconnect the main line power
supply.
2.8.3.3.4 In jurisdictions not enforcing the NBCC, when sprinklers are
installed not more than
600 mm (24 in.) above the pit floor, 2.8.3.3.4(a) and (b) apply to elevator
electrical equipment and wiring in the hoistway
located less than 1 200 mm (48 in.) above the pit floor, except earthquake
protective devices conforming to
8.4.10.1.2(d); and on the exterior of the car at the point where the car
platform sill and the lowest landing hoistway door
sill are in vertical alignment.
(a) Elevator electrical equipment shall be weatherproof (Type 4 as specified in
NEMA 250).
(b) Elevator wiring, except traveling cables, shall be identified for use in
wet locations in accordance with the
requirements in NFPA 70.

Joe Burtell