From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of djj8...@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:09 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Fire pump annual test

When testing a fire pump, pump speed ALWAYS drops with increased flow.

In a message dated 10/3/2012 8:43:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bcasterl...@fsc-inc.com writes:

Tom, let  me back-up and try to benefit from your experience. The speed is not
suppose to change, but it does, right? Years ago I helped a fitter with some
annual tests-- no matter what the rating, we took all the  readings at several
(increasing) flow rates. I think I remember the speed  dropping, if only
slightly, otherwise why measure it more than once! It  seems 'illegal'
to not drop.
BTW- good advice on not using the  individual 2.5" valves to calibrate the
flow- it is hard to forget having  to use both hands, elbows and forearms to
keep them from vibrating out of  whack while being screamed at by an old.edu
fitter, ankle deep in water,  hung-over, no rubber boots or coffee, early
morning, mid- November in  Kansas :)