Pressure limiting device
Governor on the diesel to lower speed at churn so as not to exceed 170 PSI
discharge pressure.
Used when the water supply exhibits relatively high static and low residual,
and you need 170 at rated capacity.
See NFPA 20 2003 for first invocation against using the main relief valve to
truncate the water supply down into the retention pond.
The #20 TC was afraid the main relief could stick open, and your FP water is
running out the relief valve instead of discharging thru open sprinklers.
Clarke makes a line of variable speed diesels rather than the single RPM
conventionals.
This particular one had variable pitch vanes in the turbo to meet emissions
standards.
Due to a limited # of offerings in the line, especially in the larger sizes,
this was oversized by maybe 250 HP or so.
No time to visit archives today.

George L.  Church, Jr., CET
Rowe Sprinkler Systems, Inc.
PO Box 407, Middleburg, PA 17842