The Forum was started some time in 1996 (as recently confirmed by Mr. Muncy).  
I was three years into a startup sprinkler company and two years into trying to 
operate without our sprinkler engineer partner, who had unexpectedly passed 
away.    Frustrated with not having anybody with industry experience to  bounce 
ideas off of, I posted what may have been the first non-technical, Muncy 
eyebrow raising message with a subject line something like:  'Tired of 
Reinventing the Wheel', and asked if anybody out of my market area was 
interested in forming a peer group.    For some reason, nobody responded to 
this post from the startup contractor in Fargo, ND.   I'll guarantee that it 
generated some off-Forum banter.  However, one evening (probably more like 3 
am), I received an email from George Church, "Dave, I'm not a contractor but I 
once was and I will be again. When I do it, count me in on the peer group. If 
you're awake, call me."  We talked for hours.   Thus began our friendship
 .  And a few years later, the Churches threw themselves into Rowe Sprinkler, 
and that peer group resulted in some of the best business advice I ever 
received.

You've seen it in other posts:   Giving; straight-shooter; optimistic;  proud 
family man and proud of his employees; sprinkler geek extraordinaire for sure.  
How many have attended AFSA's conventions at least in part because of George? 
To be fair, he had his faults:  Nearly impossible for North Dakotans to 
understand on the phone;  Didn't know that Colorado was farther west than Fargo 
until he was nearly 50 (we found him once in the Denver airport, shaking his 
head, staring at a wall sized map of the U.S.)   What a character.  Some of the 
more enjoyable times in my life have been with George and Cathy.   

George - you can keep trying to sell The Big Guy up there, but I'm pretty sure 
He's not going to bite on that 6x2.5x4 grid with K17's, even if you arrange 
installation before the concrete is poured.

Thank-you for your solid friendship.


Dave Sornsin
ND Regional Manager
Rapid Fire Protection, Inc.
3333 E Broadway Ave #1109
Bismarck ND 58501

Direct/Cell 701.371.0643
Fax 701.751.3022
www.rapidfireinc.com
[email protected]


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to