Do these flow models know when a valve is closed?

Bill Brooks

-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org]
On Behalf Of Steve Leyton
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:48 AM
To: craig.pr...@ch2m.com; masorn...@kfi-eng.com;
sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Can a hydrant flow from the pumper connection be used for the
hydraulic calculations ?

Now that I understand the intent of the topic ...

Ironically, this underscores something that's somewhat controversial and is
a current topic in the NFPA 14 revision cycle, i.e. currency of flow tests
and the use of flow models in lieu of open port flow testing.  If you're
dealing with a water agency that has their system(s) modeled, or uses a
third party to run flow models, it can be determined with a very high level
of accuracy just how much flow (and at what velocity) a particular leg or
main will produce.   Craig's point about a single 8" not likely producing
4,000 gpm may be true, but two or three 8" legs of a municipal grid
certainly can and that's where extrapolation of flow test results or the use
of a model can help a fire official determine whether a particular water
supply is capable of delivering the require fire flow to particular parcel.

BTW Mark Sornsin, I've already heard about this from others so if you want
to make fun of me anymore the line forms over there.

SL